SOGGY TOMATO SANDWICHES
A friend brought us home-grown tomatoes this week., just in time for the holiday
There is nothing finer than a soggy tomato sandwich.
These were the sandwiches of choice for the annual Neely Family Fourth of July Picnic.
In our home this is a favorite Kitchen Sink Sandwich. We enjoy them while tomatoes are in season.
2 vine-ripe tomatoes
Duke’s Real Mayonnaise
6 slices of white bread
Freshly ground pepper
- Take six slices of white bread. Don’t use anything that is good for you – just plain old white sandwich bread.
- Slather Duke’s Real Mayonnaise heavily on all six slices. Only use Duke’s. Use about twice as much mayonnaise as you ordinarily would.
- Grind fresh black pepper on all six pieces of bread.
- Slice vine-ripe tomatoes thinly and stack them three layers deep on three pieces of the bread.
- Salt the tomato slices.
- Mash, not lightly press, the remaining three pieces of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomatoes.
- Turn the sandwiches over and mash again.
- Cut the three sandwiches in half. Let them come to room temperature.
- Stand over the kitchen sink to enjoy these juicy sandwiches.